My Journey Through Sewing The Clarke Tank by Seamwork


I began my journey of sewing the Clarke tank top by Seamwork by first downloading the pattern. Do you download patterns from the internet? I love doing this because I can do everything from home, which means that I can really research and read about the pattern prior to purchasing and downloading. It does take a little extra time to piece that pattern together (I use scotch tape) but I enjoy the process. After I get my pattern pieces taped together, I then tape together a few (usually four) pieces of tracing paper and lay it on top of my pattern and trace out the size that I want to make and then cut it out. I store my patterns in a big portfolio folder so I will have them for later. It also makes me feel good to know that I will always have these patterns stored on my computer as well. 


The Clarke tank looks super simple, but I always struggle with pattern instructions and this one didn't come with a video tutorial. You can choose to cut this pattern on the bias, but I chose to just go with the straight cut, which actually worked out fine with the cotton woven fabric that I chose. If my fabric was a bit more flow-y I think that cutting on the bias would be the more favorable thing to do. 

I really love this print! 



One of my biggest takeaways from this project was learning how to under stitch the facing. I thought that I was doing it correctly,  however after I completed the under stitch, I noticed that it was showing on the right side, which didn't look too bad but was incorrect. With this particular top, it called for a smooth v neck with no stitching visible on the front - hence the tern UNDER STITCH. I felt so silly after I made this mistake. I then had to use my best friend (my seam ripper) to take the stitches out and restitch. 

Below is a video of me showing you my error.


After I finished this top I stumbled across a Seamwork tutorial on how to sew an all-in-one facing. You can find the link HERE. I wish I found this before I began my sewing journey on this tank, but on the other hand, I'm pretty happy to know that I was able to figure it out all by myself.

Another key takeaway for me was to make sure that I follow the finished garment measurements of the pattern. This top ended up being way to big for me because I just used the body measurements chart which doesn't take into consideration the amount of ease that is built into the pattern. I am still trying to understand this.....

Below is my completed Clarke tank top! I am going to send it to my sister in Florida. I think it might fit her perfectly...



Comments

Popular Posts